As you guys probably know, I LOVE books, podcasts, and the “occasional” movie/tv show. Lately, audiobooks have even become a thing for me. But that depends on the voice of the narrator. I also love sharing what I’ve been reading and listening to with you all. So here are 9 podcasts that are – in my opinion – actually worth listening to.
First things first, if you haven’t discovered the power of podcasts, here are 5 reasons why you should consider them:
- Free, Diverse and Accessible: With very few exceptions, podcasts are free. It’s easier than ever to find, subscribe and listen to literally hundreds of them. The topics ranging from education, entertainment, news, arts, comedy, health and wellness, spirituality, business, comedy, politics, sports, technology, hobbies or crafts, and more. Podcasters also create and publish their content on many platforms like iTunes, Spotify, Soundcloud, Google Play and other apps and directories.
- Be Inspired: Do you know what inspires you or what you’re passionate about? Chances are there’s a podcast for it! And if you’re not sure what you’re looking for, you have many options to choose from. If you need something specific, you can always ask me. I’ll tell you what’s worth listening to. 😉
- Escape OR Optimize Your Time: You can listen to podcasts while walking, exercising, commuting, or performing menial tasks at home or at work. There are also interesting podcasts that are made purely for entertainment value. These help you focus on something other than what you deal with daily.
- Spiritual, Physical, Mental and Professional Growth Anyone? There are literally experts in almost every field that have podcasts to help you work on your own personal development. And if at any point you think the person is talking BS just hit the unsubscribe button and move on!
- Someone Can Relate: What I love about listening to other humans share their stories is that you realize that you’re not alone in whatever you’re feeling. It’s comforting to know that someone understands because they’ve been there too. They may also be able to help you navigate your way through your struggle.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way. Next up, we have a list of podcasts I’ve been loving – mostly thanks to my long commutes going through NYC. Each podcast has helped me grow (or simply made me laugh) for different reasons: Some help me grow spiritually and inspire me to be more compassionate with myself. Others help me think outside the box
The list is a mix of short messages on teachings on the Bible, wellness tips, interviews, biographies and shared perspectives on different topics.
…in no particular order:
- Don Moen | Praise & Worship Leader – You want to wake up worshipping and feeling the peace of God as you start the day, this is for you. I know He may seem old school for some people but old school works. It’s Don Moen, so expect a little singing here and there. He also shares uplifting messages of hope and encouragement with interviews from many well-known authors and artists.
- Oprah’s super soul conversations – This is basically Oprah’s personal selection of her interviews with teachers, best-selling authors, artists, spiritual luminaries, and health and wellness experts from all over. Need I say more!
- Passing through – You can read more about Nneka J’s podcast in my other post here. It is definitely worth listening to.
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts – This one I actively searched for and I do not regret it. Susan Cain delves into what it really means to be introverted and how introverts are wired differently. You learn why the “solution” isn’t always “go mingle”, and how these traits often fueled out greatest visionaries. I think this is good for everyone since we all know at least one introvert.
- Savvy Psychologist – Meet life’s challenges and learn how to help those around you with EVIDENCE-BASED research, a sympathetic ear, and zero judgment.
- Stuff you should know – Get to learn about common things – everyday stuff – and how they work.
- What it Takes – You get a chance to listen in on rare and revealing conversations with people who have led game-changing lives. People like Maya Angelou, John Irving, Sally Fields, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Archbishop Desmond Tutu and many more.
- Joseph Prince – He is today’s leading voice in proclaiming the gospel of grace around the world. God’s Word in a fresh, practical, and revelatory way that always unveils Jesus – the reason for everything.
- I can’t emphasize how helpful it has been for me to be reminded daily of how greatly blessed, highly favoured, and deeply loved I am by God.
- The message is simple! God’s love for you is unconditional, Jesus is FOR YOU, and the Holy Spirit is IN YOU. If you start believing that, I promise everything else will fall right into place and storms won’t break you when they come.
- Jesus and Jollof – I wasn’t going to end this without mentioning Jesus & Jollof and their awesome hosts, Luvvie Ajayi and Yvonne Orji. 😀 They talk about what it’s like being proudly Nigerian, the things they love, their stories, and just life gist. You’ll laugh, you’ll reflect, and you’ll learn!
What are some of your favourite podcasts? If you’d like recommendations on a specific genre, then hit me up or comment below. I’m also always looking for recommendations. What podcasts are worth listening to? Let me know in the comments. If you like this post, don’t forget to share!
Leave a Reply