THE LIVING ROOM IS COMPLETE…FOR NOW.
Honestly, are you every truly done with a room? For most of us, I think home updates or quick refreshes are an ongoing thing. But I can say – for now – I am done with my cozy little living room. So here’s the big living room reveal!
I’m still figuring out what my decor style is, but I’m leaning towards a mesh of a couple different decor ideas. You’ll be the first to know what my decor style is once I figure it out.
Here’s what I DID know…
The living room is the first room you see when you walk in, so it was very important to me that I created a space that is welcoming, warm, and most importantly, cozy! I also work from home, so the primary goal was to make the space practical and comfortable.
Now, over the years, I’ve made a few mistakes while decorating, so here are a few things that I think are important to make a note of when you’re decorating or refreshing your space:
- ALWAYS measure your space and check against furniture pieces before you make a purchase, ESPECIALLY if you are shopping online. And after you’ve measured, measure again…lol
- When it comes to buying furniture, do not make an IMPULSE purchase. Sleep on the decision first and thank me later.
- Think visuals and aesthetic, but also consider COMFORT and possible guest. I know that couch fits into the modern vibe you’re going for, but is it practical? Are you sure you want it in WHITE? How would your place accommodate your guests?
I absolutely love this space. It makes it so easy to unwind at the end of each day. Even though I work from home, having my work space separate from the living room area is something I’m grateful for.
It has been a blessing – and a productivity boost – to have that part of my “business life” be in a different area. That way I don’t “bring work home”, you know – work time is work and rest is sacred (I might print that on a pillow…phew).
Since most of the central furniture pieces are neutrals, I decided to add in some wood-finished furniture items for warmth, and colored accent pieces e.g. pillows. Also, the wood pieces in the living room help tie in with the wood furnishing of the floors and other pieces in the apartment.
As far as the book shelves go, they are my favorite feature and I have dreamed of having a personal library since I discovered what I could conjure up with my imagination. I shared an entire blog post here about how I set up these shelves, and I have an update coming soon. I’ll also post the other furniture and similar options for decor below.
Beside comfort and visuals, I also make sure the space smells good ALL the time. I love scents so I will typically have a diffuser on or some candles burning. The Chesapeake Bay Mind & Body collection and Jackie Aina’s Forvr mood have some of my favorite scents, but you can find amazing scents at the any Target, HomeGoods, or Marshalls. After all, who wants to walk into or live in a smelly apartment…lol?
I worked with a somewhat slim budget and I achieved this look with these:
- The sofa aka a very important central piece. It took a while to decide on what would work for the space AND be comfortable. My sister and I eventually decided on the PÄRUP sofa in gunnared beige
- Soft throw pillows from Target and the Gurli cushion covers from Ikea
- A beige-colored rug: TVERSTED
- Sheer GJERTRUD curtains for the summer, because when it gets warm, the material of your curtains absolutely matter! These ones, or SILVERLÖNN ****as an alternative, give such a light and easy vibe and they’re so soft!
- TV Stand/Media Console: BRUSALI
- Side Tables – LÖVBACKEN (price has gone up by $25)
- White Bookshelves: GERSBY which I bought in 2017
- Floor Mirror: HOVET
- The decor on shelving units are mostly thrifted or old, and artwork around the living room are by me unless stated otherwise.
If there are any other links you need, please feel free to email me at email@example.com and leave a comment/question below.
Setting up a small apartment space can be tough, but I made it work as best as I could and I LOVE the result. One room is done for now, at least and just a few more finishing touches to go before I reveal the bedroom!
Thank you so much for reading and taking a tour of my living room! I hope you enjoyed it.
Be sure to check out more home related posts on the blog
And I love when you share my projects on Pinterest! So, feel free to save this Living Room Reveal for later by pinning the photos to your boards!
Leave a Reply